Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Take 2 - Agave Whole Wheat Apple Upside Down Cake


This post is for J, who asked if shaker apple cake would work well with whole wheat and agave. My response was that I think that particular recipe would be too dry and lose something in translation, but to try the one below for apple/nut upside down cake.

This particular recipe is one I experimented with on my own til I found something that worked. Many recipes you already use can be adapted for alternative sweeteners and grains, however you will probably need to adjust the liquid to solid ratios and add additional levening agents since your batter will be heavier and thicker. There are also some really good cookbooks out there that focus on alternative sweeteners and whole grains. Two of my favorites are Sweet & Natural Baking  and  Baking with Agave Nectar.

Apple/Nut Upside Down Cake:

Mix together and line the bottom of a large round cake pan, a spring-form would work exceptionally well in this case, with 4 tablespoons earth balance, ¼ cup agave, and 1 cup roughly chopped lightly toasted walnuts or pecans

Mix well in bowl 1-
½ cup canola oil
1/3  cup agave or maple syrup or honey
1/3 cup apple juice
2 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla

Mix in bowl 2 –
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup chopped apples
½ teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
1 & ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 & ½ teaspoons baking powder

Mix bowls 1 & 2 together, then pour over the previously prepared cake pan. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes. Let rest for about 10 minutes before inverting over a plate or tray to serve “upside down”

Happy Eating!


1 comment:

  1. Yay! I am going to make this tomorrow. I am going to use half agave and half maple syrup since that's what I have on hand with some delicious raw candied pecans and some fresh pink lady apples. I will report back!

    ReplyDelete